Thursday, September 23, 2010

'The news man gives information, everything is under control'

Hello all!

It's been some time since I last updated. A few things have happened, though at the moment I'm still in what one might call 'limbo'.

Currently, my job situation (something that has been the main form of both contention and excitement in my life over the past few weeks) is still up in the air. At the moment it seems I have two main prospects:

1. Working at an estate agency in London writing up contracts (writing and picture taking included).
2. A major publishing house in Singapore (yes, Singapore!) has been in contact with me regarding a position with their company. I'm still waiting to hear back about an actual interview, but I've been answering questions for them left and right. I had to submit a 'written test' for them yesterday. This prospect is beyond exciting.

Yet the most exciting bit is graduate school. It seems that King's is very interested in my application. However, because I did get my application in rather late (two days before the deadline), they've asked me to defer my application until November for the 2011 entry rather that 2010. To have the opportunity to study at King's would be out of this world (it is, after all, according to The Times Online, in the top 20. In the world! And to think back to the struggle I went through when trying to get into a decent university out of high school. How things change).

As a lot of you know, I'm coming home on Monday. I'm not sure how long I will be home for (depending on my VISA situation), but I will definitely be in the States until the 11th of October. Those of you in NJ/NY/MD/DC I've sent out an 'invite' for various dates I'm trying to get people together. Let me know if you're interested in meeting up. It would be great to see everyone!

Oh, and for you food buffs out there, have a look at this nifty little thing they have in London.
http://www.chinchinlabs.com/

3 comments:

De Campo said...

Woot Woot or something!

I will be in Baltimore the 8-11. What's the MD leg of your trip looking like?

Unknown said...

I am nosey. This is me being nosey.

I went to grad school at King's and finished with an MA in medieval language and literature. I absolutely loved studying there, but that's mostly because of my thesis advisor, the only Anglo-Saxonist at the university; she was fab. My advice, though, is to think long and hard about how much you REALLY want it if you're funding it yourself. Having come out the other side with a ridiculous amount of debt for a degree that is, for all intents and purposes, pretty useless, I question my decision about going to King's monthly (when I'm paying my student loan bills).

If you're getting a stipend, then, what are you waiting for, go!

Ashley said...

Hi Larissa!!

It's okay to be nosey. I'm nosey with everyone else's blogs so it's completely fine :)

As for King's, my grandparents have offered to pay my tuition, and then, when I get a job after I graduate, I pay them back, interest free. It's a pretty sweet deal, on that I definitely cannot pass up.

Thank you for the advice though. I am very much set on getting my masters; have been for quite a few years now. This would be an awesome experience (and hopefully I end up with an advisor as cool as yours :) ).

I will keep you posted when the decision is made!!

Thanks again :D x